In theory, any medical practice-friendly EMR could be adapted for use in a behavioral health setting. (That’s my theory, at least.) But as with other specialties, there’s a growing list of vendors who are offering EMRs focused on behavioral health.
Since we’re not finding any comprehensive sources of such vendors out there, we thought we’d share a very small sampling of those we could find and see if you have any feedback. Yes, there’s probably of hundreds of vendors who claim to support psych, but we hope these few help to start a discussion.
If our quick look is any indication, there’s no single model or feature set that’s won over the psych marketplace. Here’s hoping it matures soon; right now my guess is that these would be a nightmare to integrate into a shared HIE.
Are any of you using an EMR specific to behavioral health? How is it working out? Have we left any important vendors out (including non-specialized platforms which seem to work well in psych settings)?
We look forward to your feedback!
* Acrendo (http://www.acrendo.com/psychiatry-emr) Tablet PC-based EMR. Features include mental health templates, appointment setting, Dragon-based dictation and e-prescribing.
* ICANotes (http://www.icanotes.com/) Web-based EMR focused on psychiatry/psychology practice. Supports sub-specialities, including child/adolescent, substance abuse, eating disorders and geropsychiatry.
* OmniMD Psychiatric EMR (http://www.omnimd.com/html/SpecialtyPsychiatry.html) Includes mental health intake and depression/anxiety exam.
* Psychnotes EMR (http://www.psychnotesemr.com/) Available as hosted or installed solution. Company specializes in psychiatric products. Supports speech and handwriting recognition.
* Psytech Solutions (http://www.psytechsolutions.com) Offers Epitomax, a hosted EMR whose features include scheduling and billing.
* Sigmund Software (http://www.sigmundsoftware.com) Described as “an enterprise management software application for human service agencies.” Features include target behavior tracking.
* Valant Psychiatric EMR (http://info.valantmed.com/) Hosted EMR also featuring billing and e-prescribing.
* Qualifacts (http://www.qualifacts.com/)